Schools almost back in session and If you want to impress your new teacher or even surprise your old one, they will fall in love with this super cute Back To School Chalkboard Cupcakes.
Summers almost over and I go back to school in 2 weeks. Most people are sad to go back to school but I’m looking forward to meeting my new teacher and making new friends. If you want to surprise your new teacher and friends whip up my Back To School Chalkboard Cupcakes.
These are perfect to give to your teachers or friends, or you can even make them for back to school night. Here’s how you make them
Step One: Bake Your Cupcakes and Gather Your Decorating Ingredients
If you need a basic vanilla cupcake recipe test out our below, It’s literally fail-proof. I have been baking with this recipe since I was three and my cupcakes come out perfect every time. If you have your own recipe feel free to use it (but mine is better I promise lol)
When it comes to the frosting you can make your own, or use one of our buttercream frosting recipes. Store-bought frosting will also work so use whichever one is easier for you.
We picked up the candy from a local candy shop, but the candy cigarettes we’re kinda hard to find so we ordered those from Amazon.
Step Two: Bake and frost your cupcakes
When you start decorating, let your frosting sit out for a little while so it’s soft before you add in your food coloring. A little goes a long way so add a few drops, mix it up then add more if you need to. Use a baking spatula a spread on your frosting.
Step Three: Write your numbers B
If you don’t have a piping bag and tip you can cut a small hole in a ziplock bag and write your numbers that way. You can write whatever you want but I wrote math problems and words. If you’re making them for your teacher you can add their name.
Step Four: Make your chalk and apples
To make the chalk, break the candy cigarettes in half so that they look like chalk then lay one on each cupcake. To make the apple, cut a tiny hole in the top of each gumdrop and stick a green sunflower seed in for the leaf then put them on the cupcake.
And that’s it! Super easy and cute chalkboard cupcakes. Your teachers and friends will #love these. If you do decide to make them make sure to post on Instagram and tag me @reesealvarado and @ittybittybaker and use the hashtag #imanittybittybaker
Super Easy Basic Vanilla Cupcake Recipe - Totally Fail Proof
- KitchenAid Standmixer
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Your favorite frosting for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Line a 12-cup standard cupcake pan or two 24-cup mini-cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, (usually about 2 minutes). While beating the batter, slowly pour in the melted butter and then the vanilla.
- While mixing slowly, add half of the flour mixture. Then add all the milk, followed by the remaining flour mixture; take care not to overmix the batter. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, rotating the tin about halfway through baking time, 18 to 20 minutes for standard cupcakes or 10 to 12 minutes for minis. Cool the cupcakes in the tin on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on the rack completely. Frost and decorate as desired.